Monday, December 15, 2008

Sauerkraut - A Bolton Favorite


It has to be addressed! I know you ask why, but it has to be done. Even the mere mention of Sauerkraut brings disgusted looks from everyone we happen to mention that sauerkraut is a family favorite. I think you all had similar experiences as I did when I was a child. Grandma and Grandpa hauling up a 40 year old can of sauerkraut out of the damp, musty food storage and trying to claim it as a side dish. Just the smell made me not want to eat whatever else they were serving. I grew up thinking that I hated sauerkraut! Kent's ancestors are Swiss and Kent served his mission in none other but Switzerland. It had not occur ed to me to ask if his family ate sauerkraut before we got married but had I known it may have caused me a little hesitation. The first time they served it I nearly ran the 12 miles back to my parents house. If I could have plugged my nose and swallowed it without causing a scene or rupturing an eardrum I would have. Not wanting to hurt dear Tudi's feelings I gagged it down. The next time they served it I was tempted to pretend I was ill but with some prodding Kent got me down there. It was funny how accidentally getting sauerkraut on my mashed potatoes and gravy changed my mind about this dish. It is truly one of those things that if you ate it right out of the can it is disgusting but if you get the right things with it... ahhhh . So I will share the sauerkraut secrets with you!
First of all never, ever, ever buy it in a can! That stuff will kill ya!
You have to buy the kind in the refrigerated section. Klausen is the best. If you do not like it strong, grate a potato in it before cooking.
We put the sauerkraut in a crock pot on low when we leave for church. Add polish kielbasa, we like the turkey kielbasa and it is less calories. Now for the most important part you have to serve it with mashed potatoes and milk gravy and corn. It is one of those meals that you can make what we Bolton's call "The Perfect Bite!. Ya know the kind where you can put a little of everything on your fork and the flavors meld into perfect yumminess.
I know already the looks on your faces but I am telling you... you gotta try it!!

3 comments:

Amber said...

OK, if you say so!

Anonymous said...

Dear Angie.
I'm glad you have finally found a way to love something your mom has always loved.
I am hoping you will blog some news of Baylee's surgery today. Tell her she is in our prayers (as you all always are)~~but especially because of her surgery today. Love to all. MOM

Amanda B. said...

I'm with Amber...if you say so. But Jason will be over next time you make it. He loves it. I won't touch it with a stick...:)