As mentioned in a previous post, the Boltons have started a new tradition of "Gifts of Time." Last year Kent and I each gave the kids something from us, for example I gave the girls cake decorating classes and Kent gave Carter a session of building things out of scrap wood in the garage. It really was the most memorable of last years gift giving. (Bonus- minimal cost). This year we decided to broaden the idea and we all gave gifts of time to each other rather than tangible gifts.
It was hard to explain this concept to Carter and when I asked him what he wanted to do he insisted that he wanted to take our family to dinner. I tried my best to make a few suggestions I thought he might jump on, but he was so insistent and proud of the idea I couldn't resist. I thought it was funny that he wanted to take us all out to HIS favorite place on earth, MCDONALD"S. When we went to make the card he insisted on using his own money. I told him I would pay but he said NO! So he wrapped up $18.00. The card said something about this is going to be the BEST night of your life. (No pressure) Wow, how were we going to do this? We had 6 people in all, on a budget of $18.00, even for McD's that's a stretch. Tudi asked him if she could put some money with his and he said NO! Kent just gave me this look like "How is this going to work?" He lined us all up and got our orders, helped make the order and then payed. He was so proud of himself. Our dinner came to $18.53 so he let me pitch in the 53 cents. As a parent it was my first reaction to say "What? NO, you can't take our whole family to dinner." But look at what we would have missed. It was just precious and every time anyone said anything about how good it was or told him Thank You, he just beamed. It reminded me that we need to nurture the joy of giving a little bit more and the getting a little bit less.
Valentine's Day Aches
13 years ago






1 comments:
Oh, I love that story! i think that idea is something we might have to borrow! Seriously, you will never forget that!
Post a Comment