Friday, November 21, 2008

I can't be a vegetable anymore!

For years I have claimed that, like in the movie Cinderella how the coach turns into a pumkin after midnight, I turn into a vegetable after 7 pm. The kids can ask me something and I just give that far off glazed look and nod my head.
I have discovered that my vegetable days are gone. Take last night for instance:
5:45 pm} Run in the door from work - smile and hug everyone - make a menu and grocery list.
6:00 pm} Run out the door to get to my General PTA Meeting at the school. Do my little spiel in front of the audience. Sneak out.
6:40 pm} Run over to the grocery store. Do my weeks shopping that usually takes me a couple of hours in 20 min. No, we have not eaten dinner yet and it depends on a rottiserie chicken and guess what they do not have one and I do not have enough time for an alternate plan.
7:05 pm} Call on my way home to ask the girls to meet me at the door with Carter and his shoes (which he is constantly forgetting). Also let them know that I don't have dinner after all they will have to do a McD's run.
7:15 pm ]Trade groceries for Carter(who has eaten a PB & J) and run out the door again.
7:29 pm} Barge into the Wee Care after driving like a bat out of you-know-where. Out of breath from dragging Carter into the building arguing with me about how he is not getting a shot.
8:10 pm} Run over to get prescriptions filled. Of course they can't have them filled for another 45 minutes. I can't run home, that would be stupid, 1/2 an hour travel time and 15 min home. I have to start him on the meds tonight. Ok, we'll go walk around Target and look at toys. (That part was fun)
8:55 pm} Go back to Walgreens. Sit forever looking at the pharmacy tech who looks like she is doing nothing but isn't helping me.... Aargh!
9:15 Walk in the door at home. Home at last!! Then Bay says as nice as possible. "I guess we will take care of my dance uniform later?" AHHHHHH! Run, Bay, Run. Get in the car! Oh, no I forgot my purse and keys. Run, Bay, Run! (Yes, I have turned into my mother, I make the kids do the running).
9:35 pm} Sheepishly knock on the door of the home we are going to waaaay to late in the evening. They have even turned off thier porch light and when they answer they are in robes!
9:40 to 9:50 pm} Apologize profusely at how sorry we are for disturbing them and thier children who were in bed before we barged in, but are now all wound up and probably not going back to sleep for another couple of hours. And let's not forget that this sweet lady is 8 months and 3 weeks preggers! Oh, soooo sorry!
10:05 Back home at last! This time to stay! And Oh yeah, what am I going to have for dinner. Aww, a PB & J looks really good at this point!
So goodbye to my vegetative state, so long to the glazed looks. I'll miss you while you are gone. Someday I will have you back and I'll be sad because it will mean that all of this is over! Even though it is busy, hectic and crazy I love being a mom! I am so proud of my kids and the people that they are turning out to be.

1 comments:

Amber said...

Ang...you crack me up! By the way, was this day extraordinary?...it seems like mine are always like that! :)