Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Aly speaks in Sacrament Meeting 12/29/07

The Small and Simple Things
When I heard the topic was The Small and Simple things, lots of things came to mind. And then I thought about it for a while and realized this: the times that I really feel the spirit are when I'm looking at nature. Not just glancing at it but really looking. Like examining the delicate structure of that perfect snowflake that falls on my sleeve, or just wondering at a field of tall golden grass waving in the wind like the ocean. The small and simple things mean something different for everybody, but this is what it means for me. There is a primary song that's always been my very favorite called "My Heavenly Father Loves Me." The lyrics go like this:
Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by a lilac tree
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me
This song seems to testify of how, if we really take the time to notice, small and simple things can remind us of our Heavenly Father's love for us.
This Christmas, my family decided not to concentrate on the little experiences that we will really remember. Things like a decorating class with my mom , an outing to a book store with my dad, or an afternoon spent playing a game with my entire family, even my crazy little brother.
Having a six year old in the family has really let all of us experience the wonder of growing up all over again. Like learning to read. My mom has always said that when a little kid learns to read it's a miracle. Knowledge and learning are some of the greatest gifts God has given us, and when little Carter learned to read, I was completely astonished. How had this little dude cracked the code? It was amazing. Like I said before, a miracle.
You might think these things are pretty trivial, but they are the little things that bring me joy and bring me closer to our Father in Heaven. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

0 comments: